Sunday, July 17, 2011

Painkiller, Part 4: Finding Lethe


Let's finish up this crazy subject. Having determined that what I really wanted was something to help me sleep, I called my chemo doc: Doctor Illyass. He ordered an Ambien generic for me. At first I was thrilled with it. I took half a dose and went right to sleep. But after a few days I realized that there was something peculiar about it. I would sleep exactly 6 hours and then wake up. Not a minute more nor less. I was sleepy! So I took a whole dose. Then I slept exactly 7 hours. And suddenly I became quite depressed and ANGRY. Very angry. Whether it was from the lack of sleep or the Ambien I didn't know or care. I stopped the Ambien.
Luckily I had an appointment scheduled with Dr. Illyass. And happily, he told me that I could use Melatonin, which I had used successfully before treatment. I had had to stop it during treatment because it is a sort of hormone.
I was thrilled. That night I took my dose and sweet sweet Lethe received me in her arms. Yes, I know what you are about to say, Lethe is the goddess of forgetfullness, not sleep. But she's always been my go-to goddess for getting to sleep. Here we sit on the edge of the river of the same name. Sweet Lethe!!!!!

1 comment:

dowhat327 said...

In a world of cancer and pain and misery, these are still two fantastic pictures. Tonight I'm going to fall asleep with the sweet image of Lethe on the riverbank.