Saturday, July 9, 2011

My New Best Friend


After several difficult days of worrying about infection, cleanliness and open sores, I finally called nurse Kathy, Dr. Hu's assistant. Kathy recommended that I buy a sitz bath. I had heard about them, but thought they might be hard to use. The old style was a basin you precariously balanced on in the bath tub, sort of like one of those circus elephants standing on a tiny box.
Kathy explained that now they were 'high tech', meaning that they fit right over the toilet bowl. Along the rim, as you can see in the photo are little slots so the water sloshing back into the toilet, not the floor.
My other concern was infection. Was it a good idea to 'stew in your own juices'? She said it was OK. To only use tepid water, nothing added to it.
I ran right out and bought one at my handy dandy surgical supply store. It was only $10.
It's so soothing and a much better way to care for the wounds.
I LOVE my sitz bath. It's my new best friend.

1 comment:

Idle Hands said...

I just posted this video on my facebook because I love this song, and then it made me think of you because Nina Simone keeps singing about sun shining out her backdoor someday and I know it's not what she meant but still, as soon as all this is over the sun's gonna shine out your backdoor. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6eg2ppX2tU
love you aunt imelda!!!!